The Cheapest 5-minute Meal: Ham, Bean and Potato Soup

Here's family favorite of mine that we'd make in the winter when we were too tired to cook anything. Surprisingly simple and filling, although you need to watch the cholesterol content.

Ham, Bean and Potato Soup

I'm betting you could guess the three ingredients for this recipe very easily, but here are the numbers:
2 cups smoked ham, cubed.
1 can (39 oz) of green beans and whole potatoes in ham stock (I used HANOVER brand)
1-2 cups warm water (taste to see how salty it is, add more water to dilute the ham stock)
Black pepper to taste

Directions:
Pace ingredients in a small pot on high heat. When ham lightens, remove from the heat and enjoy.

Recipe Notes

I bought the ingredients at Wal-Mart, so the prices listed below are reflecting that receipt. I bought an eight-pound, smoked ham for $1.38/lb, which is significantly cheaper (half or less the cost) of a boneless ham. Just cut off the fat and removed the bone. The can of beans and potatoes was $1.78 for 39 ounces. I bought several cans of vegetables so I can use this ham several times. Fifteen dollars or so could feed me for easily a week, if I just ate this for dinner every night. That boils down to $3 a meal.

If you were to make this meal on a rainy day in the summer, I would definitely recommend using fresh green beans and potatoes. I always loved snacking on fresh green beans in the kitchen when I was cooking. To do this instead of canned vegetables, you'll need to steam the raw beans and boil the potatoes separately before adding them to the ham. I'd also recommend leaving some of the fat on the ham and boiling it to create ham stock for the soup (only if you're using fresh vegetables).

Serves 2. This dinner pairs well with red wine, sake or whiskey.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment